The Hannibal Regional Healthcare System (HRHS) story began when community benefactors and leaders formed Hannibal’s first hospitals - Levering Hospital in 1903 and St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in 1914. The merger of these two organizations in the late 1980s led to another major milestone in the evolution of strong community-based healthcare.
In 1993 the new Hannibal Regional Hospital opened its doors on a pastoral 105-acre setting which is now a thriving healthcare campus. The beautifully appointed medical campus currently includes Hannibal Regional Hospital, Hannibal Regional Medical Group, Hannibal Regional Hospital Foundation, Center for Applied Medical Research, and the James E. Cary Cancer Center.
The Hannibal Regional Healthcare System team is nearly 1,000 strong and is mission-driven, values-based and committed to preserving the vision and legacy of our founders. Our team takes pride in continuing to create and strengthen access to community-based, contemporary healthcare resources for patients, families, and the communities we serve.